MAIL OF ISLAM
Knowledge & Wisdom
Islamic laws and rules about Hajj & Umrah
♣ What is Hajj?
Hajj is the fifth and last of five pillars of Islam. Hajj is an annual Islamic pilgrimage to holy city of Makkah and a mandatory religious duty for Muslims that must be carried out at least once in their lifetime by all adult Muslims who are physically and financially capable of undertaking the journey.
♣ What is the excellence of Hajj?
• The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said: Allah Ta'ala forgives all the sins of that person who dies either going to or coming from Makkah. He will not have to account for his (or her) deeds and neither will his (or her) deeds be weighed. He (or she) will keep getting the reward of Hajj until the Qiyamah. This person will enter Jannah without any questioning and without any kind of punishment.
• The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) also said: Whoever performs Hajj for the sake of Allah Ta'ala and did not talk to women about desires of the flesh and did not quarrel and/or abuse the fellow passengers, then while returning, that person will be so pure as if his mother has given birth to him on that very day.
♣ On whom is Hajj compulsory?
1. She should be a Muslim
2. She should have reached puberty
3. She should be sane
4. She should be free (Not a slave)
5. The journey way should be protective and peaceful
6. For a woman, the company of either the husband or some other adult and pious Mahram relative is necessary.
7. She should be healthy.
♣ What are the Fardh of Hajj?
1. Wearing Ihraam
2. Spending the night which comes after the 9th of Dhul Hijjah in Muzdalifa. (10th night)
3. Doing Tawaf
4. Performing Sa'ee between Safa and Marwah.
5. For men: cutting the hair
For women: Shortening hair
6. Doing the above Fardh in the same order
♣ What should a woman not do after wearing Ihram?
1. Having sexual intercourse
2. Applying oil in the head
4. Applying perfumes
6. Women covering the face (Face cover)
♣ Can a woman go to Hajj alone?
No, a woman should not go to Hajj without her husband or a proper Mahram male. That is, the male who is forbidden to marry in Islam. Example: Father, brother, son, father-in-law etc.
Even if she is rich, healthy and able to go Hajj, if she does not have a Mahram, Hajj is not fardh to her. So she should not travel. If she travels, it is sin.
♣ Can women do Ta'waf at the state of Major Impurity?
No, a woman cannot perform Ta'waf at the state of major impurity. So she should take obligatory bath and purify herself before it. Before or while performing Ta'waf, if she had menses, she cannot perform Tawaf. She should do once menses finished and get obligatory bath.
♣ Should women wear unstitched dress as men do?
No, women are allowed to wear their normal clothes or attires regardless of whether they are sewn or not. There are no restrictions whatsoever on the kind of clothes they can wear during ihram so long as they are not dyed in saffron or scented. Thus it is permissible for them to wear even clothes with colors or designs; although women pilgrims may do well in keeping it simple and avoid attractive designs and colors. After all, it should be noted, the hallmark of Hajj is simplicity and humility before the Creator of all beings.
♣ Can women wear shoes, slippers and sandals?
Yes, women, again as opposed to men, are also allowed to wear shoes, slippers or sandals as they choose.
♣ Can women wear face veil or cover their faces after wearing Ihram?
No, she should not cover her face.
♣ Should women shave their head as men do?
No, instead they should have hair cut equal to the size of a finger joint from the whole or 1/4th of the head.
♣ Can women visit the holy shrine of our beloved Prophet sallallahu alaihiwasallam in Madina?
Yes, it is most strong sunnah for both men and women to make the ziyarah of our beloved Prophet sallallahu alaihiwasallam.
Beloved Prophet ﷺ said: Whosoever visits my grave then my intercession becomes Wajib for him.
Book - Daraqutni Volume No. 2 Page No. 244, Imam al-Bayhaqi in Shu‘ab al-Iman (3/490)
Beloved Prophet ﷺ said: Whoever visits my grave after my death it is same as him visiting me in my life.
Book - Imam Tabrani in his Al-Kabir Volume No. 12 Page No. 291. Imam Bayhaqi in Sha’yb ul Iman Volume No.3 Hadith #489]
English - Haj & Umrah
Read Prophetic hadith related to Hajj & Umraah
Download Free E-Book